Wednesday, March 08, 2017

International Women's Day: Women of Speculative Poetry

Happy International Women's Day!

As a poet, I've been honored to have the privilege of reading the work of many outstanding women who've added greatly to science fiction, fantasy, horror and the imagination through their verse. I regret that I can't share pictures of everyone who's been involved with growing the cosmos of arts and letters, but here are just a few who've been making a difference and adding their voice, and I hope you'll all take the time out to find even more writers out there and encourage them.


I will say, this was a LOT of reading, but it was an effort happily undertaken! I look forward to seeing so much more from all of them! his fine assembly includes a Pulitzer Prize winner, PhDs, SFWA Grand Masters, SFPA Grand Masters, Rhysling, Elgin, Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy Award winners, and so many more. There can be no argument this is fine company to keep. It also includes emerging writers from whom I expect great things in the future.

What makes me particularly excited is that many of them are among the very first in their cultures to be writing speculative poetry. This is no small thing.

As always, please accept my apologies that this can't be an encyclopedic post, but I hope that others will share their favorites here or elsewhere to help us expand our familiarity with so many of the imaginative voices of speculative poetry.

No comments: