Monday, June 12, 2006

Back to basics.

There is no one right way to write poetry.

My personal commandments to myself:

Be honest.

Have fun.

Never think it’s perfect.

Don’t be too hard on a piece because it’s imperfect.

Explore. Experiment. Experience. Excite.

Go where words haven’t gone yet.

Don’t forget the past.

Don’t blind yourself to the future.

Be present for the whole thing.

Remember to have something to write with nearby at all times.

Strive to write so well you’d be content to take your own work
with you on a desert island. But don’t expect to get it right the
first time. Or the last.

The inner, the outer and the other.

Remember there’s always someone better than you. There’s always
someone worse than you. Know that all this can change in an instant.
Know that worrying about this is silly.

Smile.

1 comment:

Lee Herrick said...

Bryan, I love these commandments! I'm glad to have a thaoworra blog to read, so I'll be a regular here. As you know, I'll be gone for a while, but I'll be back soon to catch up, read around, and chat some more. Cheers!